Celebrating the 30th anniversary of Springsteen's greatest-selling album comes this tribute, featuring 12 Americana and alternative artists covering the Born in the U.S.A. album, song by song, start to finish.
Although it would become his biggest selling album with seven top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100, Luther Dickinson of North Mississippi Allstars says "any of those songs could be played with acoustic guitar alone and still be great." Taking this idea as its premise, Dead Man's Town: A Tribute to Born in the U.S.A. strips the album's twelve indelible originals to the core, with contributions from Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires, Low, Nicole Atkins, Justin Townes Earle, Blitzen Trapper, Joe Pug, Trampled by Turtles, and more.
Isbell says of his cover, ""Born In The U.S.A." is one of my favorites because so many people have seemingly misunderstood the lyrical content and the song's overall tone. When you listen to the demo, the dark, minor key arrangement makes it clear that this is not strictly a song of celebration. We wanted to stay true to that version." Amanda Shires adds, "I love that the song paints a picture of struggle in the face of the American dream, and the irony in the chorus is delivered with such force that it nearly transcends irony altogether."
Dead Man's Town: A Tribute to Born in the USA
1. "Born In The U.S.A" - Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires
2. "Cover Me" - Apache Relay
3. "Darlington County" - Quaker City Nighthawks
4. "Working On The Highway" - Blitzen Trapper
5. "Downbound Train" - Joe Pug
6. "I'm On Fire" - Low
7. "No Surrender" - Holly Williams
8. "Bobby Jean" - Ryan Culwell
9. "I'm Goin' Down" - Trampled By Turtles
10. "Glory Days" - Justin Townes Earle
11. "Dancing In The Dark" - Nicole Atkins
12. "My Hometown" - North Mississippi Allstars
For more information click here